I had the privilege of attending chapel at my daughter’s school today. One of the things that was part of the chapel was the Casting Crowns video from their song, “Thrive.” Watch the video and more thoughts below…….
On the way home, it got me thinking. Thinking about church, thinking about the role of the church, thinking about what I’ve written over the last 5 weeks about church. Casting Crowns says it well:
Just to know You and to make You known
We lift Your name on high
Shine like the sun, make darkness run and hide
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
Into Your word, were digging deep
To know our Fathers heart
Into the world, were reaching out
To show them who You are
Those two verses right there. They describe church. They describe what church should be:
- Lifting God’s name on high.
- Pushing back darkness – the darkness that each of us faces every day and every week. The darkness that plagues our world.
- Encouraging us, through Christ, to be more than ordinary.
- Digging deep into the Bible to know God.
- Reaching out into the world to show them who God is.
That’s the church. That’s what God intends.
I like it. I want to find it and build it.